Welcome to Máriaremete

English Deutsch Français Magyar

Parish at the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary in Máriaremete

Location: Templom kert 1, 1029 Budapest, Hungary

Opening hours: Mon-Fri 7:00-12:00; May-Sept: Sat 8:30-19:00, Sun 7:00-19:00. Oct-April: Sat 8:30-12:00 & 17:30-19:00, Sun 7:00-12:00 & 17:30-19:00.

Services: Holy Masses - Mon, Tue: 7:00 and 10:30; Wed, Thu, Fri: 10:30; Sat: 10:30 and 18:00; Sunday: 7:30, 9:00, 11:00 and 18:00. All services are in Hungarian.

Parking: by car in nearby streets; buses can park along Máriaremete street. Parking is free of charge.

By public transport: take buses No. 57, 157 and 157A from Hűvösvölgy.

Pilgrims: it is possible to hold a holy mass or common prayer in the church for pilgrim groups upon request.

Contact: mariaremete.plebania@gmail.com

History of the Shrine

In the mid-18th century a young woman, Katalin Thalwieser, came from the Danube riverhead to live in Hidegkút. She brought along a picture, a paper copy of the ancient statue of the Virgin of Einsiedeln (Switzerland). She fastened the picture to a roadside tree. People passing by would stop for a prayer at the picture. Many a prayer thus offered was found to be answered - to mention one example, a blind woman of Buda, Mrs. Forstmar, regained her sight after praying there. The landowner of the forest, Ignác Terstyánszky, first built a wooden chapel, then a small church of stone to house the picture. This church was consecrated in 1808. The great number of pilgrims soon made it necessary to erect a larger church.

At the initiative of Dr. János Pauer, Diocesan Bishop of Székesfehérvár, an association was established with the object to build a church in place of the chapel. As a result of their efforts, a church in neo-gothic style came to be built. It was consecrated on October 1, 1899 by Diocesan Bishop Fülöp Steiner to the honour of the birth of the Virgin. Pope Pius X permitted plenary indulgence to pilgrims attending the church, under the usual conditions. In 1928 the shrine was given into the care of the Servite Order, who held it in charge until 1950.

1958, the centenary of the apparition of the Immaculate Conception in Lourdes, was assigned by the Pope as a Marian year. On this occasion, Pierre Théas, Bishop of Lourdes and Tarbes, donated a replica of the statue of Lourdes to Máriaremete. It was erected on the open-air altar, on a rock brought from Lourdes. In 1991, Pope John Paul II granted the Shrine of Máriaremete the honouring title of "basilica minor".

The Basilica is still a popular, well-attended shrine of the Virgin. Pilgrims seeking solace and healing come here from all over the country and even from abroad. Nearly 3000 marble votive tablets witness to the faith of believers, and to the great number of prayers answered.

Interior of the Church

The interior in its present form was designed by Prof. Dr. Alfréd Bardon, and built out in 1963-64. The walls were repainted after the design by István Takács, church painter of Mezőkövesd. In accordance with the liturgical reform, the picture was placed in front of the high altar, on a socle imitating a tree. The fresco decorating the arch represents the "Homage of the Hungarian people to the Blessed Virgin", with "The woman clothed with the sun" (Rev. 12,1) on top. At her right, the fresco shows the first Hungarian king, St. Stephen, on his knees, who recommended his land to the protection of the Virgin.

In the intersecting vaults of the aisle, symbols of the seven sacraments are depicted; in the nave, symbols of the epithets of the Virgin are shown. The reliefs of the stations are made of pearwood by wood-carver István Bicskei. The organ of the church came from Buda Castle, at the order of Francis Joseph I, King of Hungary.